All Saints Episcopal Church
100 Lower Marlboro Road, Sunderland, MD 20689
Between 1693 and 1694, a log church was erected on one acre of land donated by Thomas Kemp at the intersection of Severn Ridge path and the road leading to Coxtown. This log church, known as All Saints Parish, served as the primary place of worship for all land north of Hunting Creek, on the west side of the “Pottuxent River.” The present brick church was completed in 1777.
Brooks United Methodist Church
5550 Mackall Road, St. Leonard, MD 20685
The church, now known as Brooks United Methodist Church, was established in the 1800s. The land for the original church, called The Meeting House, was donated by Sewell Waters in 1846. During the 1800’s, the church was used both as a school and a church. As the congregation grew, the building outgrew its usefulness as a religious and educational edifice resulting in the need for a larger and better structure. Upon Completion, the church was named Island Creek Church. In later years the name was changed to Brooks United Methodist Church.
3100 Broomes Island Road, Port Republic, MD 20676
Francis Mauldin, a prominent settler, was granted a land patent for 250 acres in 1681. Out of this land, Mauldin set aside one acre on which to build a new Christ Church; this is where the present church sits today. By 1684, a small log building had been erected. The church building was destroyed in a fire in 1731 and was replaced on the same site in 1735 by a larger brick building. This building was replaced in 1772 by another brick structure – this is the building that, over succeeding centuries, still exists today. Christ Church is now Calvert County’s oldest continually worshipping congregation.
Emmanuel United Methodist Church
1250 Emmanuel Church Road, Huntingtown, MD 20639
Emmanuel UMC is a historic congregation, beginning in 1867. Their current sanctuary was erected in 1903, but has been updated throughout the years to incorporate such innovations as electric lighting, indoor plumbing, and HVAC systems. In 1962, the congregation opened an additional building on the property that currently is home to their offices, fellowship hall, nursery, and Sunday School classrooms.
Huntingtown United Methodist Church
4020 Hunting Creek Road, Huntingtown, MD 20639
The forerunner of Methodist churches in Huntingtown may have been the Huntingtown Methodist, initially known as the Hunting Creek Church. During the mid-1800’s, the congregation split into two factions, one supporting northern abolitionism and the other having southern sympathies. Both groups continued to use the same building, however alternating services every other Sunday. In 1873, the southern group erected a building called Calvary on Hunting Creek Road, on the site of the present day church. During the 1920s, movement toward reconciliation of the two factions began, and in 1941 the parishes reunited. They met at Calvary, and renamed the church Huntingtown Methodist, the name seen today in stained glass over the doorway at the sanctuary entrance.
Lower Marlboro United Methodist Church
6519 Lower Marlboro Lane, Owings, MD 20736
Lower Marlboro United Methodist Church is the sister church to Mt. Harmony United Methodist Church. Lower Marlboro United Methodist Church’s history goes back to the mid-1800's when the Methodist movement was spreading across the area. Many of the area United Methodist churches started out as house churches that would be visited by a traveling pastor or "circuit rider." In 1882, the Smithville circuit, consisting of three churches -- Smithville in Dunkirk and Mt. Harmony, and Lower Marlboro in Owings -- was organized. After 98 years as a three-church charge, Smithville became a separate station on July 18, 1980. The two remaining churches became known as Mt. Harmony-Lower Marlboro United Methodist Charge. In 1994, the charge was reconstructed as a blended parish. In September 1997, Mt. Harmony United Methodist Church celebrated their 150th anniversary.
10200 H.G. Trueman Road, Lusby, MD 20657
Established in 1684.
Mt. Harmony United Methodist Church
155 E. Mt. Harmony Road, Owings, MD 20736
Mt. Harmony United Methodist Church is the sister church to Lower Marlboro United Methodist Church. Mt. Harmony United Methodist Church’s history goes back to the mid-1800's when the Methodist movement was spreading across the area. Many of the area United Methodist churches started out as house churches that would be visited by a traveling pastor or "circuit rider." In 1882, the Smithville circuit, consisting of three churches -- Smithville in Dunkirk and Mt. Harmony, and Lower Marlboro in Owings -- was organized. After 98 years as a three-church charge, Smithville became a separate station on July 18, 1980. The two remaining churches became known as Mt. Harmony-Lower Marlboro United Methodist Charge.
Mt. Hope United Methodist Church
145 Dalrymple Road, Sunderland, MD 20689
Established in 1860; rebuilt in 1923.
North Beach Union Church
8912 Chesapeake Ave., North Beach, MD 20714
Starting in the first decade of the Twentieth century, the J.D. Timberlake Family from Washington built a cottage on what is now Chesapeake Avenue in North Beach. The Timberlake family began holding Sunday school classes for local children on her front porch during the vacation season. From these beginnings, a group representing several denominations organized a church. In July 1911, the interdenominational “Church in the Woods” was constituted. In April, 1921, construction of a new facility began. No longer tucked away in the woods, the congregation changed its name to Union Church of North Beach. Though much expanded, that 1921 building still serves as the main structure. The old Church in the Woods bell was placed atop the new building and is there today, still calling the faithful to worship.
Olivet United Methodist Church
13575 Olivet Road, Lusby, MD 20657
Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church
50 Alexander Lane, Solomons, MD 20688
In 1888, with less than 100 Catholics in Calvert County, a Parish was established in Solomons Island by Cardinal Gibbons of Baltimore. Jesuit priests traveled there to minister to the people, celebrating Mass periodically in the homes of local Catholics. As people migrated to this area, Catholicism began to grow. In 1895, the first church, called St. Mary’s, was built on Sedwick Avenue, where the present cemetery is. Priests from Benedict served the Catholic community there, often traveling on horseback or boat. In 1904 the church in Solomons was listed as Our Lady Star of the Sea Church rather than its former name, St. Mary’s. In May 1927, the cornerstone of a new church was laid. As years passed and the area saw an increase in population, the church could not accommodate the growing number of people who came to Masses – thus, in 2010, the new Parish Church was built.
Patuxent United Methodist Church
3500 Solomons Island Road, Huntingtown, MD 20639
Patuxent Methodist Church was built in 1896; however, the initially congregation was formed in 1883 by the Chase, Mackall and Wall families. The church is said to be one of the most significant African-American Methodist churches in Calvert County. The cemetery includes the interments of several significant African-America members of the local community, including Reverend Levi Chase. The cemetery also includes hand-carved gravestones dating to the 20th century.
Smithville United Methodist Church
3005 Ferry Landing Road, Dunkirk, MD 20754
The brick church, dedicated in 1840, is the oldest standing Methodist church in Calvert County. The Calvert Circuit began in 1781 with services in homes. By 1789 this circuit had the largest membership in the United States. Fielder B. Smith gave land for this church. Other congregation members gave clay, baked the bricks, and provided much of the interior woodwork. In 1882, the Smithville Circuit of three churches was formed. In 1980 Smithville became a separate church.
Solomons United Methodist Church
14454 S. Solomons Island Road, Solomons, MD 20688
Established in 1866, we are the oldest church on Solomons Island. The building is a typical 19th century tidewater country church, made of wood and painted white. The vestibule is in a bell tower. A center aisle leads to a chancel and antique crafted pulpit. The lectern is made of original building studs removed during the 2002 renovation. Beautiful antique stained glass memorial windows surround the sanctuary.
St. Edmonds United Methodist Church
3000 Dalrymple Road, Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
Originally built in 1865; burned in 1893 and rebuilt in 1928.
St. John's United Methodist Church
1475 Sollers Wharf Road, Lusby, MD 20657
Built in 1880 by the congregation, the foundation of the earlier white church is visible east of the current building.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
25 Church Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Constructed in 1842.
St. Paul's United Methodist Church
11000 H.G. Trueman Road, Lusby, MD 20657
St. Paul is an outgrowth of St. John Methodist Episcopal Church on Sollers Wharf Road. It was founded in 1866. The original St. Paul Church building was a log structure that stood in the area of the cemetery now occupied by large cedar trees. In 18 years, St. Paul had outgrown its log building and a new frame building was constructed right over the log structure, which was dismantled and carried out the door piece by piece. In 1930, the present sanctuary was constructed.
St. Peter's Episcopal Chapel
14590 S. Solomons Island Road, Solomons, MD 20688
St. Peter's Chapel is an historic Carpenter Gothic-style Episcopal church building located in Solomons, Maryland. Built in 1889, it features the steep roof, lancet windows and board and batten siding typical of Carpenter Gothic churches. In 1900 it joined with Middleham Chapel to form Middleham and St. Peter's Episcopal Parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland.